SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM (Amended 09/14)
1. The WPYRA Scholarship Program has been established to assist and reward those WPYRA
2. members who wish to continue their education beyond high school, through a college, university, trade or business school. The WPYRA Scholarship Program is only available to those members who meet the criteria as outlined below.
3. Applicant must qualify as an Active Member. To qualify as an Active Member, contestant must meet the following criteria:
4. Participate in a minimum of 75% of rodeos.
5. Meet sponsorship and fund-raising requirements.
6. Be in good financial standing, not falling in arrears at any time throughout each season.
7. All scholarship applicants must be an active member of the WPYRA during his/her senior year of high school, as well as the year he/she applies for a scholarship (if beyond senior year).
8. Member must apply for Scholarship during eligible years which include his/her senior year of high school and up to his/her final eligible year with WPYRA.
9. Member can only apply for Scholarship one time.
10. Applications will be available after first spring rodeo of each year. Applications will be available by request only. Applications will not automatically be distributed to those members eligible.
11. All applicants will be required to complete the Application in its entirety, to include an Essay of 250–500 words explaining, ―How WPYRA has influenced my life‖; obtain official grade transcripts; and, three (3) Letters of Recommendation. Letters of Recommendation should come from teachers, coaches, mentors, pastor, etc. they can not be from family members.
12. All Applications must be complete and turned in to the Scholarship Committee on or Finals of same year received.
13. The Scholarship Committee will be comprised of a minimum of 1 Board Member and up to 4 other individuals having a child(ren) actively participating within
14. WPYRA. A minimum of 1 committee member must change annually.
15. No more than 1 Committee Member can have an eligible child applying for a scholarship within WPYRA. The Committee will be responsible for operating the day to day procedures of the Scholarship Program and reporting to and receiving approval from the Board of Directors, prior to announcing any awards.
16. Once an Application has been submitted with all criteria met, the Committee will recommend to the Board of Directors, to award the scholarship based on a point system to include the following criteria:
17. Number of years as an active member – All years will be counted that an applicant qualified as an active member. However, if not an active member for 2 or more consecutive years, no years prior to those consecutive inactive years will be counted. Examples: Jane is an active member during 7th, 8th, 10th and 12th grades. She is an inactive member during 9th and 11th grades. All years will be counted. John is an active member during 7th, 8th, 11th and 12th grades. He is an inactive
19. member during 9th and 10th grades. Only his junior and senior years will be counted.
20. Type of higher education planning to attend – Points will be awarded based on the type of further schooling chosen, with a 4-year degree receiving the most points.
21. Number of events actively competed in – Those events participated in a minimum of 3 times will be awarded points.
22. Asset to the Organization – Awarded points based on not only the applicant, but his/her families’ involvement as well.
23. Results of Personal Interview – The committee as a whole will discuss and assign a point value based on the applicant’s answers and overall performance during the personal interview.
24. Based on available funds and the number of applicants, a dollar amount will be placed on each point. Regardless of the number of points earned, a scholarship of $1,000.00 will be the maximum amount awarded.
25. Upon approval from the Board of Directors, the date of approval will be recorded on the
26. Application. The Applicant/Awardee will be notified via U.S. Mail of his/her approval. WPYRA will hold approved funds up to a maximum of two (2) years from the date of approval for distribution. After two (2) years, awardee forfeits funds.
26. One (1) Dollar from each entry fee will be allocated to the scholarship fund each year.
GET APPLICATION DURING REGISTRATION AT ANY RODEO.